Specialty fermentation ingredients
Lallemand Biofuels & Distilled Spirits
Selected high performance yeast strains
In addition to custom-produced proprietary yeast strains, Lallemand Biofuels & Distilled Spirits and other Lallemand businesses have selected and commercialized a variety of valuable Saccharomyces cerevisiae strains for specific applications, such as:
- Fermentation of grain mashes in continuous processes
- Batch fermentation of grain mashes
- Fermentation of beet molasses and other by-products of the sugar industry
- Continuous and batch fermentation of cane juice and molasses for fuel ethanol production.
No matter what the strain, a yeast product must be readily available to the fermentation process with consistent viability and vitality for optimal performance. Yeast strains are available in a variety of forms, each with unique characteristics:
- Active dry yeast products, available in sachets, bags or boxes, meet the needs of many producers because this commercial yeast formulation exhibits the best storage stability (up to two years unrefrigerated).
- Fresh bag (or crumble) yeast products have not been fully dried and therefore provide benefits to producers due to outstanding vitality. Short fermentation lag times can result in superior fermentations.
- Stabilized liquid yeast products can be delivered to the fermentation process directly from the shipping container or storage tank using automated dosing control equipment; this yeast form provides superior ease of use and fermentation performance.
Yeast fermentations, when provided complete nutrition throughout the production process, finish faster with higher yields and fewer contaminating by-products.
Research has shown that most commercial-scale fermentations are nutrition-limited in some manner. A variety of yeast nutrient components and formulated products are available to producers. With Lallemand Biofuels & Distilled Spirits experienced technical support, proper nutrient products can be selected and implemented for improved bottom-line results in the production facility.
Microbial control solutions
The two most effective microbial control tools available to fuel ethanol producers are a) cleanliness, and b) fermentation process management. When more tools are required, fuel ethanol producers can rely on proprietary antimicrobial products, troubleshooting and plant personnel training from Lallemand Biofuels & Distilled Spirits.